Thursday, December 3, 2009

Roast Haunch of Venison

Sorry I’ve been away for a while, but I have just moved jobs from Glasgow office to the site office at the Grangemouth refinery and have not had time to do much this week.


Well at the weekend my wife and I went to Mitchells in Carmunock for our annual birthday meal and it was great. She had fillet steak and I had Venison, so in honour of the venison I had here is my own recipe for Haunch of venison.

Ingredients: -
1 off Haunch of venison
1 table spoon of Chinese five spice
2 glasses of red wine

Method

1 - Take the haunch of venison and rub the five spice into the meat. Leave overnight to marinade

2 - Preheat oven to 190deg C / Gas Mark 5

3 - Take a roasting dish and place a large piece of tinfoil in the base. Place the venison in the foil and pour over the red wine. Close the foil around the venison ensuring it is sealed.

4 - Cook the venison for about 1.5 to 2 hours dependent on the size of the meat. The foil will allow the venison to steam in the red wine and the meat should be tender when cooked. Baste half way through cooking as this will allow you to check how the meat is cooking.

Serve this with either creamy mash potatoes or crispy roast potatoes. It is so amazing you will never go back to roast beef.

I like to get my venison at a place near my mother-in-law's in Kinross. They are called Fletcher's and they do mail order. Here is the link:

Fletchers of Auchtermuchty

http://seriouslygoodvenison.co.uk/index.php

No comments:

Post a Comment