Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Pavlova

Well the weekend was another rainy time, and I had to try and find something to take away the rain blues with my son. My wife said why don’t you make a Pavlova with him. What a great idea.


So I checked the fridge to make sure we had everything and we set to work. There is nothing as frustrating as trying to separate eggs with a two and a half year old.

We managed to make it and he had some with his dinner, then lunch the next day and then dinner and then wanted some before bed.

A complete success I think.

Anyway here is the recipe: -

Ingredients: -
4-5 egg whites - dependent on how big the eggs are.
250g caster sugar
1 teaspoon of corn flour
2 teaspoons of vinegar
2-3 drops of good quality vanilla extract
300 ml of Whipped cream and sliced fruit for the topping

Method: -
1 – Preheat the oven to 180 deg C / 350 ºF / Gas Mark 4.

2 – Beat the eggs until stiff peaks. (Until you can hold the bowl upside down without the beaten eggs falling out.) Remember not to show off doing this as many times I have ended up with the eggs on the floor and the dog eating them.

3 – Add the sugar and beat in. now add the corn flour, vanilla and vinegar, and mix together for about 20-30 secs. Not too much or you will release the air from the eggs and the Pavlova will be flat...

4 – Place greaseproof paper on a baking tray or flat oven proof dish, and pour the mix onto the tray / dish till about 1 high and the diameter of a diner plate.

5 – Place in the oven and immediately turn it down to 150 deg C / 300 ºF / Gas Mark 2. and cook for 1hr 20 mins. (Do not check on the Pavlova until about 1 hr and 15 mins or it will collapse and be ruined)

6 – Turn off the oven and leave the Pavlova in the oven to cool for about an hour.

7 – Remove from the oven and turn over onto a plate, so the top is now the base. Peel off the greaseproof paper carefully so not to take the Pavlova with it, use a knife to scrap it off if necessary.

8 – Cover in fresh whipped cream and fresh fruit such as pineapple or strawberries or raspberries.

The Pavlova is all lovely and crispy meringue on the outside and like marshmallow on the inside. I grew up eating this when my Gran and my Mum made it for every occasion like Christmas. No one could ever make it as good as they could. Every time I tried it was flat and rubbish.

But when my mum died a few years ago I tried to make it again and I seem to have picked up the knack. Maybe my Mum and Gran were watching down on me giving me that helping hand.

Now when I make it for Christmas dinner, it brings a tear to my Dad’s eye.

4NS5Q63MMGHB

No comments:

Post a Comment